Monday, November 9, 2009

Southern by Birth

American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God is a bumper sticker that was popular in the past in the South. Many stereotypes exist about Southern Culture and Southern Ways.
Southern People are not too bright.
All Southerners are Rednecks.
The South is full of Racist.
They all worship Nascar.
We are gun freaks.
Hunting and Fishing is required in the South.
Dating of your relatives in allowed.
College Football is King.
The Mullet hair style never died.
You have to be a Republican.
Country Music is the best and Southern Gospel music is even better.
We are litterbugs.

Although the above assumptions have some basis, there are many exceptions to the rules. As a Southerner, I defy many and as such, it is hard to box me in and truly understand me.
I Hate Country Music.
I am a Liberal Democrat.
I own many Guns but I do not hunt anything.
I could not name 3 Nascar Drivers.
I believe that Global Warming is real and we need to change our littering and polluting ways.
I actually do have African American friends and not just the one invisible one that people always say they have in order to prove that they are not racist.
I am not a Redneck and I don’t date relatives.
I do not have a Mullet…anymore…I lost the war with my hair.
I do like to fish but I release most everything that I catch.
I like College Football but my favorite team struggles a lot….Go Gamecocks. Of course, I actually do have non Southern teams that I pull for as well and I like pro football.
I am not a vegetarian.
I drive a truck and not a hybrid.
Southern Hospitality is always acceptable.
As you can see, it is o.k. to break the mold and be yourself. Just because there are influences and pressures in your local society, it does not mean that you have to conform. Be true to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment