Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Race Card

When you consider the South, racism is a part of the fabric. In many ways, times have changed and in many ways, they remain the same. The amount of change depends largely upon who you ask. If you ask White people, you will often be told that “the blacks” have been given everything and they have full and equal rights and opportunities. If you ask African American people, the answer will be much different and you will quickly find out that there are still many unequal issues out there. At one point, I was living in the land of oblivion as well. Through Church and relatives, I took racial issues for granted and shamefully, I discriminated in my mind and actions as I was growing up. There were 2 changing points in my life. When I was in the 11th grade, I meet an African American named Stanley. Stanley wanted to hang out with me and after a break in period I became good friends with Stanley. My new friend showed me that we have much more in common than we have to fight about. I used to wear some of his clothes including an awesome jacket. I lost touch with my buddy after High School and sadly, I learned later that Stanley had fought Cancer and had passed away. I wish I could have told him how much I appreciated him and the lessons that he taught me through the small things. My second life changer was working with an African American lady at a company that I managed. This lady proved to be a loyal worker and when I promoted her to office manager, I had a steady parade of White co-workers that first informed me that I had made a mistake and when I did not agree, they quit one at a time. I often ate lunch with the office manager and I experienced first hand some of the raw side of Southern Hospitality. While eating our lunch at local restaurants, I was often called an “N” lover. We were daily pointed out and sometimes received poor seating and service because people assumed that we were dating. This lady was old enough to be my Mom but these folks did not care. I also had an occasion when a group of family members called me aside and demanded to know why I was in business with a “Black Woman”? In the end, I learned a lot about myself and my fellow Southerners. There are good people in the South that are not racist. I offer a few pointers to you if you really want to change your outlook and expand yourself beyond the racial divide.
Don’t tell or listen to racial jokes.
Stop looking at sports teams and pulling for them based upon their race makeup.
Stop telling people that you are not racist because most of the time, when people say that, it simply means they are.
Don’t use the “N” word or any other racial terms.
Stop talking about having a “Black Friend” and actually make a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment