Monday, November 2, 2009

If the Government is so Bad, Why are you in it?

“I’m from the Government and I’m here to help”. This quote was made by Ronald Reagan and was meant to be a funny quip. It has become a rallying cry of those that would oppose the current Government. “My goal is to cut Government in half in twenty five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub”. This is a quote by Neo Conservative, Grover Norquist. In Case you are unaware of the term Neo Conservative, this is a left over philosophy that basically holds that the United States of America is the greatest country in history and that it is our duty to use our Military and resources to enforce our democracy and free market systems onto other countries at all cost. My contention would be that to have and hold these view points, would be an exercise in insanity, especially if you are in the Government or running for public office. How can one hope to change and better Government when they harbor a hatred of it and in fact would want to take Social Security, Medicare and other public plans away from the people. This would be similar to me stating that I hate all lawyers and the practice of law but I am going to school to become an attorney. I find it very ironic that these same Government rebels, did not voice their concerns during the Bush administration. They also did not voice any opposition to the billions that were spent on a Nation building war in Iraq or on the big financial bail outs that took place under Bush. I can hear it now, I hate the Government, and the Government is not to be trusted. The Government is evil and will continue to be wicked unless you elect me and pay me to be a part of it. I will then be able to take a public paid salary and health care and change the beast from the inside. Of course, I will probably need to be in office for many years and will need to take money from large corporations to make sure that they are given all the advantages possible. Does this sound like solid reasoning to anyone? If you are so convinced that Government is bad, stay out of it and leave it to the folks who want to improve it and not kill it. The Government is a bad term as well. It is supposed to be a Government of the people, by the people and for the people. I will from here on refer to it as my Government. My government is not evil and it is not bad. It may not be perfect but it can be worked on without receiving the death penalty. I fear that lots of the anti Government talk is actually hidden racism because we have a leader that is partly African American. You have every right to be involved with Government but you can’t save something by killing it. Let’s take pride in our Nation and support honest debate. Change cannot take place through a gun or with lying and screaming bullet points at a town hall meeting. If you have nothing to offer but hatred of my Government, then I suggest you go find another country with one that you like more.

1 comment: