Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Persecution

1. The act or practice of persecuting on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs that differ from those of the persecutor.
2. The condition of being persecuted.

I feel persecuted on an almost daily basis. Everywhere I go, I seem to run into people that want to shove their politics and their belief systems in my face. I have historically tried to simply avoid conflict over these issues however I have reached a point that I feel backed into a corner. I feel as though I have no choice but respond to the bias that my family and I have to endure. You may assume that I am speaking of Christian Persecution. I am speaking of this but not in the way that you would presume. I am being persecuted by "Christians". I have been told many times that I am going to hell because I am a Democrat. My kids have had to go through teachers preaching the virtues of Republicans and the evils of Democrats. Below, are a few examples that I have been through.

While visiting at the hospital, my brother and I were in the waiting room. The television was on and they were showing a video of President Clinton. There was an older man standing next to me and he said..."ain't you glad that Bill Clinton ain't our President anymore?" I said...well, I actually voted for him 2 times and I really miss him. The older guy took a step away from me , pointed at me and yelled...draft dodger! There was an African American lady sitting near us and she said that she agreed with me. There was also a receptionist in the area and she said that she agreed with the older guy. I ended up leaving the room instead of causing more trouble. The ironic thing about this episode is that this guy was miffed about Bill Clinton's military service when the new President George Bush allowed the biggest terrorist attack on our soil and his military service is a joke.

When my middle girl was in the 2nd grade, her teacher told her that John Kerry kills babies. I was shocked and was forced to answer abortion questions because of this teacher's whacked out beliefs. The principal did address the problem but it was a bit late. My question would be, is it better to expose your beliefs to an audience that is too young to hear the graphic details or is it better to keep your beliefs to yourself? My question to the anti abortion crowd would be, how can you be "pro-life" and yet support the wars and the killing of innocent people in Iraq,etc? And don't tell me that these deaths are keeping me safe. Iraq did not attack us or have anything to do with 9-11.

One of my friends went to church and was approached by a rich, white man. The man told my friend that he was going to hell because he voted for Obama. My friend replied in kind by saying that the guy was going to hell with him for judging him.

There is persecution taking place in this Nation but it is not the kind that we have been warned about. The ugly trend is that the religious right is busy mixing politics and church to the point that if you disagree, you are no longer welcome in their sight. We are forced to live with constant pulpit support of Republican talking points as well. Christan music has been taken over as well. I just wish that some of the people that love to scare their fellow Christians into submission and fear mongering over the coming persecutions would do a little research. Consider the Jewish people and the attempt to rid the earth of the race. Also, consider the torture that some other societies put Christians through. These people know the meaning of persecution.

Persecution is happening but it is reverse. If you dare to disagree with the Southern mantra, God = Republican, then be prepared to fight for your rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment