Friday, January 6, 2012

Lost in Translation

Why do I love the movie "Lost in Translation"? Got a chance to share it with my wife and 18 year old tonight. I'm a fan of great camera angles and that movie is about as good as it gets. I think I also love the fact that there are so many interpretations of the true meaning and moral of the movie.

Everyone deserves to be happy. When you find your life is filled with problems and sadness, make every effort to locate the source of the conflict and remedy as best as you can. Money can make life easier but isn't always the key to being happy. I was eating lunch the other day at Zaxby's and a small child walked around my table and watched me while he was eating an ice cream. The look in his eyes was happiness and because I knew he was enjoying life, it made my day better. Never envy people when they are happy and never try to dictate the path to happiness for others. I've noticed that in the South, the majority of conflict can be traced to a religious influence. When your child comes home with a tattoo, even after they know you would not approve, the answer isn't to make them feel your wrath or a guilt complex. Most kids are searching for a shock factor and if you give them the fuel, the fire will burn brightly.

I don't dislike the military. I think it serves a purpose but mostly for the defense of this Country and as a place for the youth who have struggles at home or have nowhere else to turn for hope of a job or career. The conservatives like to think that they have a stronghold on the military and patriotism but I think their reasoning is flawed. Although the military has a strong influence from right wing radio and Christian culture, there are many minorities in service and typically, they lean Liberal. We often heard from Bush and Cheney that we need to listen to the generals on the ground about when to end the wars but this is foolishness. If past administrations would have listened to the generals instead of giving them orders, we would have tried our hand at world domination and conquest of the middle east. Thank goodness Obama has used common sense and leadership to fight smarter and to bring troops home and out of harms way.

Why does everything have to be political? I interviewed for a real estate job today and during our brief meeting, the Owner of the company told me that last year was their best year in history. She then turned around and said that if we could just get a different President in office at the next election that the market would turn around. This comes on the heels of 2 interviews with accountants to handle my office books. Even after I instructed one of them that I was not interested in political conversation with them, he insisted on lecturing me about how I didn't need to bother with paying into social security because it wouldn't be there for me anyway. Has it ever dawned on them that if enough people subscribe to this theory that they are conducting a self fulfilling prophecy?

Watching Dead Files somehow reminds me of the republican party because I think that one day, we will look back historically and wonder what ever became of the 2nd major political party?

When you shine the light of truth on the blatant hypocrisy and lies that are passed around in conservative circles, it amazing how they fold and people see themselves as silly and over reaching. The most dangerous people are the ones who don't know when they should be ashamed.

Even though I've been scolded and ridiculed for my wishes and beliefs, I can't help but believe that they are the proper way for me to live. One of my most controversial stances is wanting to give my children something that I never really had and that's a choice. A choice of how to think politically and a choice of how to approach spiritual things. A journey of self discovery is the most satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment