Friday, April 23, 2010

The Good Old Days

When you take back something that has not been stolen, you become a thief. I continue to hear Christian leaders speaking of fighting the culture war and taking back our Nation or taking back what has been stolen. I am having trouble seeing what has been stolen. I find that located beneath the surface, is simply a longing by these folks to go back in time to the "good old days". The problem is, the good old days were not all that good. I have no desire to go back to the times of no central air, no cable television and no Internet. What was so good about the past? Was it a time when women and black people knew their place? Was it a time when we beat the crap out of our kids? Yea, those sound like great times to me and by great, I mean horrible. I have been told that the old days did not have crime, drugs, gangs and disrespect of elders. I am afraid that this is simply not true. You can go back as far in history as you like and all of these things were present, they were simply kept more underground back in the day. It is not possible to insulate yourself from the world with an ancient world view or with a Christian culture. Whatever you decide to keep that close to you will eventually abuse you. Modern society is not at fault for all the evils on the planet and neither is a liberal media or mindset. If you want to subscribe to the good old days philosophy, that is fine, go as far back in a time capsule as you want to but do not get mad at me when you are left behind and become an obsolete member of society. In the end, when you take back something that has never been stolen, you have become the thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment